Strengthen the family bond: Check out these fun activities to build unity
If there was ever anything good that came out of months of isolation with family members at home amid the Covid-19 closures, it was an opportunity to reconnect with our loved ones as the world stopped temporarily. It’s no secret that while memories made with family strengthen unity, it’s interactive and fun activities on a weekly basis that strengthen bonds.
However, now that we are all back to our routines after travel and work from home restrictions were lifted after 2 years of coronavirus lockdown, we are somehow missing the days of togetherness and longing for ways to reconnect with our loved ones . In an interview with HT Lifestyle, Dr. Aarti Bakshi, Developmental Psychologist and SEL Consultant at SAAR Education, shared, “Special moments are more meaningful when the whole family is involved in planning fun activities. Planning is the key to making family moments special and turning the bonds into a lifetime of funny, sweet stories and lasting memories.
She added, “Building a united family is hard work every day. Extreme silences, bottling of emotions, non-resolution of conflicts, the addiction to technology destroys the thread of a family. Constantly spending scheduled interactive family time is therefore a necessity. Establishing family routines like bedtime stories, set meal times, play times, and parents working as one unit also helps create a sense of stability in children’s lives.
Dr. Aarti Bakshi listed some fun activities to strengthen the family bond:
1. Conduct family interviews: Children can record interviews with their parents, grandparents, favorite uncles and aunts. It will be exciting to know many fascinating stories of growing up in different times including children. And There you go ! a collection of personal anecdotes and memories, will create a time capsule of family history. Converting interviews into an album or creating a photo book or digital file would increase attachments.
2. Plan a family photo session: Capturing candid moments helps preserve family memories.
3. Cook together to bond better: Can also use the time to listen, share and talk with your child. Create cooking time videos together.
4. Mindfulness together helps to stay calm as a family: Savor a little silence. Take a listening walk. Although nature is particularly relaxing, a listening walk can happen anywhere, at home and even in a noisy shopping mall or restaurant.
5. Play board games: In addition to teaching kids about teamwork, patience, and how to win and lose gracefully, board games boost brain power and language development.
6. Sing, dance, have special family handshakes. Thank yourself, give meaningful compliments.
Bonding with your little one can always be fun and Dr. Vanshika Gupta Adukia, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding specialist, pelvic floor physiotherapist and founder of Therhappy, says engaging activities done family can be very fulfilling and rewarding. Therefore, she shared some fun ideas that can help family members bond:
1. Make your family/tree album- Creativity closer to your roots!
2. Create your own family song- Recreate to a favorite tune or spin something absolutely authentic. Adding your own lyrics will be endearing.
3. Play dress up- Let your child’s imagination run wild and let them dress you up!
4. Research your next family vacation destination together- This will make children feel more involved while teaching them a new location.
5. Have a period-free day- Bring out your inner child and turn the tables to let the kids take over for the day.
Bringing her own expertise and adding to the list of the best family bonding activities, Dr. Khushboo Thakker Garodia, homeopath, trichologist, nutrition and stress management expert, revealed some ways designed for all family members leave their devices and interact for a while. She insisted, “Save this list of activities and add them to your weekly routine and create fun new family memories. You can also make a list of these activities and put them in a jar and let your child pull out an activity for that week.
1. Bake or bake together: Kids love to help cook – it can be cookies, cakes, brownies, just about anything. They love mixing all the ingredients and getting dirty, then whisking it all together. It’s great fun to decorate cupcakes and cookies together. You can make fun designs out of pancakes or even make sandwiches fun.
2. Play hide and seek: Toddlers have great fun fetching adults when playing hide and seek. This game can be played indoors or outdoors and you can create some really fun memories and just laugh your heart out.
3. Go on a nature walk together: Go to the beach or the park together and try to spot interesting things – play pretend explorers. Fresh air is good for everyone and if the kids are old enough you can even take them on a hike and explore new routes.
4. Plan a movie night: Each week you can choose a movie to watch together. Pull out some popcorn, fresh lime, snuggle up in blankets and enjoy the movie together. Be sure to make both salted popcorn and caramel popcorn to take their excitement to the next level because the kids want to eat what they’ve made.
5. Host a dance party: The dance has no age limit and what you can do is take turns choosing the music. Sometimes it can be done with kids as a workout together.
6. Play games together: If you have older kids, playing Monopoly or even Jenga together is fun. With younger children you can do puzzles or play Uno or Pictionary. Play charades – it’s also great fun too.
7. Go swimming: Water games are the best way to bond with your children and family. Playing pool games together is more fun than you can imagine. You can also visit a water park.
You can create your own list of fun things to do. I hope this list of family bonding activities can inspire some new ideas for family fun.