Calendar of Events and Activities for Seniors – The Oakland Press
Vitality publishes the second Thursday of each month. For an event to be published, it must be submitted at least three weeks before the monthly publication date. To submit information for the schedule, email [email protected]
May 12: Blood Drive at Roseville Public Library, 29777 Gratiot Ave., Roseville. The Red Cross will be holding a blood drive in the library’s Erin Auditorium on Thursday, May 12 from 12:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. If you would like to donate much-needed blood to the Red Cross, you can make an appointment in advance, click on the link above. All blood groups are required. Enter the building through the Kelly Rd entrance. To make an appointment, visit www.redcrossblood.org/give.html. For more information, call 586-445-5407 or visit [email protected]
May 15: Octagon House Open House, 57500 Van Dyke, Washington Twp. OH Chat at 2 p.m. will feature Advanced Master Gardener, Dave Putt. He will give a presentation on beekeeping. The Friends of Maison Octogone will also organize a book sale in the dairy. Admission to the Octagon House and OH Chat is $5. Join us from 1 to 4 p.m. Additional information on our website octagonhouse.org in the calendar or call 586-781-0084.
May 17: Roseville Historical and Genealogical Society Program: History of Fairview at the Roseville Public Library, 29777 Gratiot Ave., Roseville at 6 p.m. Nick Sinacori is a local history buff and will discuss growing up in Jefferson Chalmers’ neighborhood and his roots as the Village of Fairview. The Roseville Historical and Genealogical Society presents a monthly program on a historical topic at the Erin Auditorium. These programs are presented by RHGS and sponsored by the Library. They are free and everyone is welcome. Registration is not compulsory. For more information, call 586-445-5407 or visit [email protected]
May 21: Free Community Plant Swap, 8-10 a.m., May 21 at the Shadbush Nature Center, 4101 Riverbends. For more information, contact Nadine Thacker at 586-764.-3895.
June 5: Super Sunday – Octagon House, 57500 Van Dyke, Washington Twp. Join us for this special event in Washington. The Friends of Maison Octogone are organizing a book sale in the dairy. The Octagardens will have a wide variety of plants in their Plant Sale and the historic Octagonal House will be open for self-guided tours. Join us from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Admission to the house is $5. Additional information on our website octagonhouse.org on the calendar or call 586-781-0084.
• Confident Communicators Club: Meets monthly for people looking to improve their public speaking skills and leadership confidence. This Toastmasters support group meets online the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of every month from 8:00-9:30 a.m. Many of our members have learned the skills to become better salespeople, grow their businesses, get promoted, and engage students. . Register for one of our meetings to get the Zoom link -https://confident-communicators-club-meeting.eventbrite.com. Contact our VP Membership for more information [email protected]
• Breakfast sponsored by Widowed Friends Ministries: Breakfast (3rd Tuesday of each) at 10:30 am, Pancake Factory, 13693 23 Mile Rd, NE corner of 23 Mile & Schoenherr, Shelby Twp. Sponsored by Widow Friends Ministries. Contact Ellen at 586-781-5781.
• Bowling at Collier Bowl: 879 S Lapeer Rd. (M24), Oxford every Tuesday. Arrival at noon for lane assignments. Sponsored by Widow Friends Ministries. The cost is $7.50 for three games (shoes extra $2.50). Optional lunch afterwards. Call Joe at 248-693-2454 or Nadine at 248-475-9036.
• New Baltimore Civic Club: Euchre every Thursday at 36551 Main St. (corner of Blackwell) in New Baltimore. Tune in at 6:30 p.m., play at 7 p.m. $10 plus a quarter for each euchre.
• Octagon House Sit and Stitch is held the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of each month from 1 to 4 p.m., 57500 Van Dyke, Washington. For more information, call 586-781-0084.
• Breakfast every Wednesday: sponsored by Widowed Friends Ministries. Join us at 10 a.m. at Cavis Pioneer Restaurant, 5606 Lapeer Rd., Kimball. Call Rita, 810-334-6287 for more information.
• Senior Card Game: Join a fun group of card players who play a wide variety of card games. Everyone brings a snack to share while playing. Free. Mondays from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. at 35248 Cricklewood Blvd. (Cricklewood Recreation Building). Call 586-725-0291.
• Dance every Tuesday: at the Polish Century Club, 33204 Maple Lane, Sterling Heights. Doors open at 6 p.m. Music from 7 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. Cost is $8 per person with a cash bar. A table is reserved for Widowed Friends. Sponsored by Widowed Friends Ministries Contact Kate at 586-344-3886.
• New Baltimore Senior Club: Tuesdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. This welcoming group of seniors is having fun of all kinds. We play bingo, organize lunches, go on trips and play cards. Monthly fee, $2. Location 35248 Cricklewood Blvd. (Cricklewood Recreation Building). Call 586-725-0291.
• Zumba Gold: 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. every Monday and Wednesday at the Washington Center, 57880 Van Dyke, Washington Twp. The cost depends on the number of punches purchased. 4 hallmarks $23 resident, $29 NR; 11 hallmarks $60 resident, $66 NR. For more information, call 586-752-6543.
• Fish Fry Every Friday: Join us for dinner/music at the American Legion Hall, 1026 6th St., Port Huron. Food served from 4:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Music from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Sponsored by Widowed Friends Ministries. Contact Rita, 810-334-6287.
• Cards/Games/Friendship: Ss. John and Paul, (1st Thursday or monthly), 1:30-4:00 p.m. at 7777 28 Mile Rd. Bring a snack to share and your own drink. Ss. John and Paul support the Agape Centre, a resource center for the most vulnerable members of society and would appreciate if you could bring a canned food (vegetable, meat, fruit) when you come to play. (Dinner afterwards at Romeo Family Restaurant, 66020 Van Dyke Rd., 30-31 miles is optional.) Sponsored by Widowed Friends Ministries. Call Ellen, 586-781-5781.
• Men’s only breakfast: Lukich Family Restaurant (1st and 3rd Thursday), 3900 Rochester Rd., Troy, at 9 am. The Widowed Men’s Group invites you to meet other widowed men for breakfast at one of the Men’s Fellowship locations, whichever works best for you. Many topics and ideas help you get involved in Widowed Friends activities. Sponsored by Widowed Friends Ministries Contact Ray at 248-585-5402.
• Eastside Movies: (1st Tuesday of every month) at Chesterfield Crossing Digital Cinema 16 (known for free refills of soda and popcorn, also offers reduced rates in the morning) 50675 Gratiot Ave., Chesterfield Twp. Dinner early after TBD. Sponsored by Widow Friends Ministries. For more information, contact Marion at 586-703-1427
• Metamora – Dinner Club: (3rd Wednesday of the month) at 5 pm Join us at the White Horse Inn, 1 E High St., Metamora. Reserved seat. Sponsored by Widow Friends Ministries. Please RSVP to Sharry 248-840-0063. No appointment. Please call if you need to cancel your reserved spot.
• Breakfast at Avenue Family Restaurant: 31253 Woodward Ave., Royal Oak, 9:30 am (2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month). Sponsored by Widow Friends Ministries.